Amino: Now with 33% less C++
My hatred of C and C++ is world renown, or at least it should be. It's not that I hate the languages themselves, but the ancient build chain. A hack of compilers and #defines that have to be modified for every platform. Oh, and segfaults and memory leaks. The usual. Unfortunately, if you want to write fast graphics code you're pretty much going to be stuck with C or C++, and that's where Amino comes in.
As the Amino codebase has developed the C++ bindings have gotten more and more complicated. This has caused a few problems.
3rd Party Libraries
First, Amino depends on several 3rd party libraries; libraries the user must already have installed. I can pretty much assume that OpenGL is installed, but most users don't have FreeType, libpng,or libjpeg. Even worse, most don't have GCC installed. While I don't have a solution for the GCC problem yet, I want to get rid of the libPNG and jpeg dependencies. I don't use most of what the libraries offer and they represent just one more thing to go wrong. Furthermore, there's no point is dealing with file paths on the C++ side when Node can work with files and streams very easily.
So, I ripped that code completely out. Now the native side can turn a Node buffer into a texture, regardless of where that buffer came from. Jpeg, PNG, or in-memory data are all treated the same. To decompress JPEG and PNGs I found two image libraries, NanoJPEG and uPNG, (each a single file!), to get the job done with minimal fuss. This code is now part of Amino so we have fewer dependencies and more flexibility.
I might move to pure JS for image decoding in the future, as I'm doing for my PureImage library but that might be very slow on the PI so we'll stick with native for now.
The new JS code initializes the shaders from files on disk instead of inline strings, as before. This means I don't have to recompile the C++ side to make changes. This also means I can change the init code on a per platform basis at runtime rather than #defines in C++ code. For speed reasons the drawing code which uses the shaders is still in C++, but at least all of the nasty init code is in easier to maintain JS.
Managing input events across platforms is a huge pain. The key codes vary by keyboard and particular locale. Further complicating matters GLFW, the Raspbian Linux Kernel, and the web browser also use different values for different keys, as well as mouse and scroll events. Over the years I've built key munging utilities over and over.
To solve this problem I started moving Amino's keyboard code into a new Node module: inputevents. It does not depend on Amino and will, eventually, be usable in plain browser code as well as on Mac, Raspberry PI, and wherever else we need it to go. Eventually it will support platform specific IMEs but that's a ways down the road.
Random Fixes and Improvements
Since I was in the code anyway, I fixed some alpha issues with dispmanx on the Pi, made opacity animatable, added more unit tests, turned clipping back on, built a new PixelView retained buffer for setting pixels under OpenGL (ex: software generation of fractals), and started using pre-node-gyp to make building the native parts easier.
I've also started on a new rich text editor toolkit for both Canvas and Amino. It's extremely beta right now, so don't use it yet unless you like 3rd degree burns.
That's it for now. Enjoy, folks.
Carthage and C++ must be destroyed.